Please use the Online Application Portal links below
for Your Xeriscape Projects:
Please Note: only the following browsers are compatible with the portal:
- Chrome from Google, for Windows or Mac
- FireFox for Windows or Mac
- Safari only on the Mac (and iPad)
- Edge (Microsoft’s replacement for IE)
- Conservation Rebate Application Portal
- Please contact our Water Conservation office for Portal enrollment information at 505-289-3156.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are interested in participating in the Desert Friendly Conversion Rebate, please do not start your turf removal project until you have applied online to the program and received an official Notice to proceed. Several conditions must be met in order to qualify for the xeriscape rebate. Projects that have been started or completed are not eligible for the incentive. Other terms and conditions will apply. After submitting your application online an inspection will be schedule if your project meets minimum requirements. The visit may take up to 3 weeks or more to schedule during the busiest part of the season. Water Authority conservation rebate requirements are subject to change without notice. Rebates are limited to available funds.
- Your irrigation water shall be provided by the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Authority.
- Any turf grass removed shall be designated high water use, according to our Xeriscaping Guide plant list, and currently watered with spray-type irrigation.
- There is no minimum amount of turf converted. Large turf conversions projects may be done in phases.
- Fifty percent of the project rebate area shall be covered by plants, as they appear at maturity. Select qualifying Rainwater, low, and medium water usage plants from our Xeriscaping Guide plant list, and claim the mature plant area (referred to as rebate allowance). Existing plants within the area of turf removal, such as trees, may be incorporated into the design and contribute to the rebate allowance total, provided they are on the Xeriscaping Guide plant list, and are not designated high water use.
- Spray irrigation is not permitted in the rebate area. Existing sprinklers shall be converted to a drip, bubbler system, or hand watered. If you hand water, plants must be one gallon or larger container stock. Areas watered with sprinklers, including micro-sprinklers, will not disqualify your project, but that area will be excluded from the rebate calculation.
- The soil between the plants shall be covered with a minimum of 3 inches mulch. Common mulches are gravel, crusher fines or woodchips, but other materials may qualify. Impervious plastic is not permitted.
- Residential Customers qualifying landscapes will receive a maximum of $2.00 for every square foot of high water use turf grass that is converted. (See below for rainwater harvesting rebates).
- Commercial Customers qualifying landscapes will receive a maximum of $2.00 for every square foot of high water use turf grass that is converted. (See below for enhanced commercial rebates).
- Receipts for plant purchase, irrigation equipment, mulch, or a landscape contractor (if used), shall be provided at final inspection.
Steps to Obtain Rebate:
- CALL 842-9287 OPTION #4 to learn about the program and to determine if your existing landscape meets the requirements.
- REBATES CANNOT BE GIVEN TO WORK THAT IS ALREADY COMPLETE. IT IS REQUIRED THAT A XERISCAPE INSPECTOR REVIEW YOUR PROJECT BEFORE YOU PROCEED. Call for an initial inspection BEFORE removing living, spray irrigated, and high water use turf grass.
- DECIDE WHAT TYPE OF LANDSCAPE YOU WANT TO INSTALL.
- Residential Customers can participate in the standard turf to xeric conversion and/or rainwater harvesting garden rebates.
- Commercial Customers can participate in the standard turf to xeric conversion and/or the enhanced rebates.
- DEVELOP A LANDSCAPE PLAN. Use the approved Rainwater, low, and medium water usage plants from our Xeriscaping Guide plant list. List each plant (using the scientific name) and rebate allowance points on the application. Use the graph paper provided to draw a simple landscape plan, or submit plan designed by a professional.
- APPLICATION SHALL BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO INITIAL INSPECTION. CALL 505-289-3026 to schedule the initial inspection at your property with our xeriscape inspector. Initial inspections occur between 8am and 2pm Monday through Friday. Please allow one to two weeks for availability.
- PROCEED WITH YOUR PROJECT When your application has been approved, you may begin your project. Funding will be reserved for the anticipated amount of your rebate. You have six months after your application is approved to complete your project. You may apply for a project extension if rebate funds are still available.
- AFTER COMPLETING PROJECT, CALL 505-289-3026 TO SCHEDULE YOUR FINAL INSPECTION. Have hard copies of material receipts or contractor’s final paid invoice available at time of final inspection. Following final inspection and application approval, the Water Authority will apply the rebate credit to your water bill. Your rebate should appear on your water bill one to two billing cycles after your form is processed.
- Xeriscaping Guide
- Rainwater Harvest Plant List
- http://wuc.ose.state.nm.us/Plants/home.jsp– interactive plant list tool created by the New Mexico Office of the State Engineer, for help in selecting low water use plants for your Xeriscape
Please Note: Downloadable Rebate Forms are in pdf format. PDF files can only be read using Adobe Acrobat Reader Software.
In order to obtain a free download of Adobe Acrobat reader software, click on the Acrobat Reader icon below.